The Navajo Social Club was founded at Indiana Normal School, now Ball State University, on January 15th, 1921. This was the first social organization on Ball State's campus and was founded by 17 young men. After 30 years of operating as the Navajo Fraternity, they applied (and were ultimately approved) to become the Iota-Alpha colony of Lambda Chi Alpha Fraternity. On October 20th, 1951 they were officially charted as an official Lambda Chi Alpha chapter. In 1951, the chapter held their first Bike-a-thon philanthropy.
The chapter continued to thrive on Ball State University's campus until 2004 when the chapter closed. Fortunately, the chapter recolonized on August 30th, 2008. After being back on campus for two years, the chapter re-charted on February 26th, 2011. The chapter soon became one of Ball State's top fraternities again, and was named the Ball State Interfraternity Council Chapter of the Year in 2012 and The Ball State Daily News' Best Fraternity in 2015. Since 1951, Iota-Alpha has initiated over 1,864 members into the bond.
You can read more about the early history of the Navajo Fraternity and the Iota-Alpha chapter in the book by James D. Garretson below.